You have a goal? We can help you reach it!
What is the Aspire Program?
The Aspire Program provides an opportunity for motivated students who have the potential to be successful at Dordt but who do not meet the regular admission standards to benefit from a Dordt education. The program helps such students develop new strategies and skills for learning.
How are students for the Aspire Program selected?
Inclusion in the program is determined by the executive director of admissions in consultation with the director of the Academic Enrichment Center and is based on high school grades and courses and ACT/SAT scores. Applicants who fail to meet one of the following general admission entrance requirements may be granted admission with special provisions into the Aspire Program.
- A minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.25
- ACT or SAT I test minimum score as follows
ACT: Composite - 19
SAT: Composite - 1330
What supports does the Aspire Program provide students?
- A mandatory one-day Aspire Program Orientation immediately preceding the Week of Welcome for incoming freshmen
- Automatic enrollment in AEC 099 - Essential Strategies for Academic Success
- A maximum of 12 to 15 credits in the first semester [including credits for athletics, music ensembles and lessons, or involvement in theatre arts]
- Assessment in reading and learning skills during orientation
- Campus Toolkit, an interactive web-based resource for students which provides help 24/7 on concerns common for college students
- A learning contract outlining strategies to assist students toward academic success
- Weekly conferences with an academic coach, either an Academic Enrichment Center professional or a learning community assistant
- Tutorial assistance in most courses
- Placement in one or more college competency courses for students whose ACT/SAT scores in English/writing and/or mathematics are below the 18/460 required for general admission.
Are there additional costs for these services?
- There is a one-time fee of $50 which covers the costs of the reading assessment, Campus Toolkit, and meals during the one day orientation.
For more information contact aspire program director Sharon Rosenboom at Sharon.Rosenboom@dordt.edu or (712) 722-6488.