University FAQs

You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.

What is the difference between a college and a university?

In the United States, the primary difference between a college and a university is that a college generally offers bachelor degrees, while a university offers undergraduate and graduate programs. Dordt has offered master of education degrees for more than 10 years and continues to expand its graduate program offerings.

Is Dordt changing its mission and vision?

We continue to champion our mission to serve as “an institution of higher education committed to the Reformed Christian perspective” that “equips students, alumni, and the broader community to work effectively toward Christ-centered renewal in all aspects of contemporary life.”

We also remain committed to the Founders Vision: “An education that is Christian not merely in the sense that devotional exercises are appended to the ordinary work of the college, but in the larger and deeper sense that all the class work, all of the students’ intellectual, emotional, and imaginative activities shall be permeated with the spirit and teaching of Christianity.”

Will the name change affect Dordt’s rankings (e.g., Wall Street Journal, U.S. News & World Report)?

These rankings already account for factors such as degrees offered, student body size, campus location, and more. These factors will not change with a name change.

What institution name will appear if I request a transcript?

Because a transcript is an official academic record of the student, it will show the current name of the institution. However, if you graduated from Dordt College, the backside transcript key will indicate that, “Prior to May 13, 2019, Dordt University was known as Dordt College.”

Will alumni need to get new diplomas that say “Dordt University”?

A diploma is a ceremonial, historical document, reflecting the name of the institution at the time the student graduated. Alumni do not need to get new diplomas that say “Dordt University.”

Now that Dordt has become Dordt University, what institution name should I list on my résumé?

If you graduated from Dordt College, use the current name followed by parentheses explaining the former name. For example, you could list Dordt University (formerly Dordt College).

I live in Iowa. Where can I buy a Dordt University license plate?

If you live in the state of Iowa, you can request a DU license plate through the Iowa Department of Transportation.

If I already have a Dordt College license plate, will Iowa Department of Transportation replace my plate?

The state of Iowa won’t replace the Dordt College plates; however, if you’d like to exchange your Dordt College plate for a Dordt University one, you may do so for a $5 fee. Please contact your local County Treasurers’ Office for more information.