The conference will be held October 31-November 2, 2013, on Dordt College's campus.
Tentative Conference Schedule
Thursday, Oct 31, 2013
2:30-5:30 p.m. Registration. B.J. Haan Auditorium Lobby
3-7 p.m. CEJ Board Meeting. President's Board Room (includes dinner)
7-9 p.m. Welcome. Dr. Erik Hoekstra (president of Dordt College), Dr. John Kok (director of Andreas Center for Reformed Scholarship and Service), Gary VanArragon (editor of Christian Educators Journal)
Open Plenary Presentation: Ray Pennings, "Heart, Soul and Mind: Measuring the Fruits of Christian Education"
9:30 p.m. Reception in Kuyper Loft
Friday, November 1, 2013
8-9:45 a.m. Breakout Session #1
- Brue, "Kjettkaker: The Case For And Against Bad Language In Religious Education-With Specific Application To The Teaching Of Math, Science, And Technology In Christian Schools"
- Boerman-Cornell, "A Rooted People Of The Word Or A Responsive People Of The Image: How Christian Schools Should Respond To New Literacies"
- Starkenburg, "Financial Literacy And 21st Century Disciples"
- Ploegstra, "Love, Creation, And Virtue"
- Cook, "Learning In The Courtyard Of Gentiles"
- Choi, "Integrating Faith, Learning And Life: A Case For Christian Higher Education At Handong Global University"
10-11:30 a.m. Plenary Presentation: Dr. Mary Kooy, "Opening the Black Box: Questions, Queries, and Conversations on Christian education"
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Lunch
12:45-2:30 p.m. Breakout Session #2
- Starkenburg, "Do We Want Or Need Social Studies?"
- MacInnis, "Karl Barth's Mozart: Lessons For Christian Music Education"
- Hee So, "A Study Of Education Evaluation In Christian Education: On The Thought Of Nicholas Wolterstorff"
- Garland, "Revelation, Reason, And Redemption: Foundations For Faith And Learning Integration"
- Cook/Stronks, "Project-Based Learning And Christian Schools: What's All The Hype About?"
- Anderson, "The Task And Impact Of Christian Education In Creating An Inclusive Worldview"
2:30-3:30 p.m. Plenary Presentation: Finn Laursen, "The Role of Christian Educators in Public Schools"
3:45-5:30 p.m. Breakout #3
- Monsma, "Teaching For Transformation: An Invitation To A Better Story"
- Stronks/Cook, "Restorative Practices: The Foundational Ethos For Christian Schools?"
- Moor, "The Paradox of Promise: Reforming Educational Institutions and Structures, from the Perspective of a Mathematical Mindset"
- Lief, "Smashing Bibliolatry: Reclaiming The Bible For Christian Education"
- Vander Woude/Windram, "Responding To The Needs Of Today's Christian Educators: Building Capacity For Technology Integration"
- Belcher, "Student Voices on the 'Everyday' Use of Powerpoint in Universtiy Teaching"
5:30-7 p.m. Dinner
7:30-9:30 p.m. Plenary Presentation: Mr. Dan Beerens, "Facing the Future Fearlessly: Focusing on Nurturing a Flourishing Faith"
Saturday, November 2, 2013
8-9 a.m. Breakfast
9-11 a.m. Open Forum, "What Next? A Vision for Christian Education in conversation with CEJ and Plenary Speakers"
11-? Closing Remarks, Gary VanArragon, CEJ Editor