You are here
Dr. Leah Zuidema
Associate Provost/Dean for Curriculum and Instruction
Phone: (712) 722-6328
One of the things I enjoy most about my work is the opportunity to make a difference in many facets of life at Dordt. As someone who loves to lead change, I find it energizing to have an array of responsibilities:
- leading Dordt's strategic planning,
- growing our online and graduate programs,
- ensuring excellence in curriculum, instruction, and assessment,
- collaborating in grant authorship and administration,
- serving on the Administrative Cabinet and as an administration liaison for the Board of Trustees, and
- working with the provost to shape academic departments through hiring, curricular change, and professional development for faculty.
Serving at Dordt is a joy, as every day is "the Lord's day" -- an opportunity to equip faculty, students, and staff to grow in faith, effectiveness, and influence.
Leadership through academic service & scholarship
- Fulbright Scholar, 2018. U.S. - France International Education Administrators Program.
- Vice President, National Council of Teachers of English. 2017-18. President Elect and convention chair; 2018-19; President, 2019-20; Past President 2020-21.
Education & Credentials
Civil Rights Investigator Certification, Levels I & II, ATIXA
Academic Leadership Academy, Pennsylvania State University
Ph.D., Michigan State University (Critical Studies in the Teaching of English)
M.A., Michigan State University (Critical Studies in the Teaching of English)
B.A., Calvin College (English)
Research & scholarship focus: Teacher education & composition-rhetoric (especially faculty as teacher-writers and administrators as literacy sponsors)
Recent publications: (see http://digitalcollections.dordt.edu/ to access full-text of publications completed while at Dordt)
Hicks, Troy; Whitney, Anne; Fredricksen, James E., and Leah A. Zuidema. Coaching Teacher-Writers: Practical Steps to Nurture Professional Writing. Teachers College Press, 2016.
Zuidema, Leah A. and James E. Fredricksen. “Resources Teachers Use to Think about Student Writing.” Research in the Teaching of English. 51.1(2016): 12-36.
Zuidema, Leah A. “How (and Why) to Give the Gift of Rest.” In All Things invited article. July 9, 2015. https://inallthings.org/how-and-why-to-give-the-gift-of-rest/
Whitney, Anne; Zuidema, Leah A.; Fredricksen, James E.; Hicks, Troy; and Robert Yagelski. "Teachers as Writers: Then, Now, and Next." Research in the Teaching of English. 49.2 (2014): 177-184.
Zuidema, L. A.; Hochstetler, S.; Letcher, M.; and K. H. Turner. "Writers Who Care: Advocacy Blogging as Teachers - Professors - Parents." Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Writing Teacher Education. 2.1 (2014): 81-89.
Whitney, A.; Zuidema, L. A.; and J. E. Fredricksen. "Understanding Teachers' Writing: Authority in Talk and Texts." Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice. 20.1 (2014): 59-73.