Job Searching Strategies
Jobs or Internships
Offering reviews and critiques of résumés, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, graduate school materials, interview skills, and more, Career Development Center staff meet with students and alumni for 30-minute sessions to provide suggestions on ways to improve application materials. During the 2013-2014 academic year, more than 200 students and alumni benefitted from Career Development Center review sessions. After her résumé review, one student thanked the center, saying, “I just received an email from a potential employer and they commented on how nicely my résumé was set up and organized.”
For more information or to sign up for a critique, please send an email to email@example.com.
The Career Development Center also plans many career-related events and workshops, including a graduate school personal statement writing workshop and several résumé boot camps. Here are some of the events that are planned for the 2014–15 academic year:
- Why Intern Week. Monday, September 15–Friday, September 19
- Job and Internship Fair. Wednesday, October 8
- Graduate School Panel. Thursday, October 30
- What to Wear Session (to an interview, the workplace, and more). Early February
- Which Fork Should I Use? A Dining Etiquette Experience. Early February
- Job and Internship Mini Fair. Late February
- Career 911 (Don’t know what to do after graduation? We can help!). 3x in April
The Career Development Center also posts jobs and internship opportunities to its online job board; staff also contacts students on a monthly basis to make sure they’re aware of career-related opportunities that are available on campus.