NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Groundwater protection meeting March 20
March 13, 2014
Have you ever wondered what is in the water that comes out of your faucet, or how safe it is to drink? Local experts will present recent findings about the water quality in Sioux Center and discuss action steps to protect drinking water sources.
The public is welcome to attend the groundwater protection meeting on Thursday, March 20, from noon to 2 p.m. in the Terrace View Event Center in Sioux Center. A catered lunch is included, so please RSVP to the city office at 712-722-0761 by Monday, March 17.
The two-hour event features several speakers presenting on topics:
- "Sioux Center water sources, nitrate sampling, and trends” by Matt Van Schouwen and Harlan Kruid, Sioux Center city officials
- “Can cropping systems retain nitrogen and generate a profit?” by Dr. Robb De Haan, Dordt College professor of environmental studies, and Dr. Ron Vos, Dordt College professor of agriculture
- "A farmer’s perspective” by Matt Schuiteman, local producer
- “Iowa DNR SWP Program for Targeted Community Water Supplies” by Becky Ohrtman, DNR source water protection coordinator
- “Moving Forward—Community input, ideas, and suggestions” facilitated by Dr. Robb De Haan.
The event is sponsored by City of Sioux Center, Dordt College, Iowa DNR SWP Program for Targeted Community Water Supplies, Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, and Sioux County Soil and Water Conservation District.