NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Prairie Grass Film Challenge winners
February 16, 2009
The third annual Prairie Grass Film Challenge awards night was held Friday, Feb. 13, at Dordt College’s B.J. Haan Auditorium.
Twenty-four film teams signed up for the challenge this year, with 21 completing their projects within the 48 hour deadline. One was ineligible for prizes due to technical difficulties.
“Best of Show” was awarded to JB Slash Productions, a team from Dordt College. Their film, “No Man’s Land,” was created by Jesse Brauning, Joel Schiebout, Katie Waymire, and Lucas Wynia. Actors and musicians performing in the winning film were Joel Schiebout, Mark Bylenga, Mike Bylsma, Scott Schultz, Nick Sohre, and James Slegers. The winning team received a $500 cash prize, along with Avid software valued at $3,000 and the coveted “Dordty” Award.
Runner up ($250) was awarded to Hand Crafted Productions, a team from Unity Christian High School. Their film, “Fred and Bob’s Adventure” was created by brothers Sam and Ben De Groot, Sioux Center.
The Peoples’ Choice Award ($150) will be awarded based on voting submitted at http://www.dordt.edu/filmchallenge
In addition to the film awards, awards were also presented for best actor, best actress, best use of assigned character, and most original character.
Danielle Roos, a senior at Dordt, received the Best Actress Award for her role as Molly McRaleigh in "Instinct" by Hook and Reel Productions.
Audience applause was the tie-breaker for Best Actor. Nominated were Dordt students Jon Trueblood as Mr. Smiley and Andrew Voss as Dr. Fleming, playing opposite each other in the Duck, Duck, Goose! Productions team film titled "The Occurrence." The winner was Andrew Voss.
The Best Use of Assigned Character Award went to Vitiator Productions, for Bobby Blake’s role in "Broken." The Most Original Character went to Jonathan Posthuma for his role as Reverend Duché in "Star Crossed Idiots" by Dual Conscience Productions, also a Dordt team.
Each film in the competition was created in 48-hours, from January 15-17. The competition is sponsored by Prairie Grass Productions (a subsidiary of the Dordt College Digital Media Department.
All of the entries will be posted at http://www.dordt.edu/filmchallenge where anyone may log on to see the top films and vote for their favorite team’s movie.
Other participating teams were:
- Ceiling Dragon Productions, Dordt College, led by Piper Kucera
- Cleek It Studios, Lincoln High School, led by Jacob Jorgensen
- Cobra, Lincoln High School, led by Brandon Lopez and Logan Bordewyk
- Death By Titanic, Lincoln High School, led by Justin Williamson
- Dual Conscience Productions, Dordt College, led by Jon Nederhoff
- Duck, Duck, Goose! Productions, Dordt College, led by David De Wit
- Fish out of Water, NW Missouri State University, led by Caleb Hayworth
- Hook and Reel Productions, Dordt College, led by Vern Eekhoff
- Meadowlark Productions, Dordt College, led by Andrew Horner
- Moving Pictures, Dordt College, led by Philip Van Maanen
- Patriot Productions, Lincoln High School, led by Marlee Fiedler
- PJ Films, University of Iowa, led by Patrick Bottaro
- Ruble and Schnape-Schnape, Morningside College, led by Jordan Hunter
- Speedy, Long, and Hairy Productions, Dordt College, led by Stephen Pederson
- Spirit(s)!, Dordt College, led by Alvin Shim
- Slater Maxwell Productions, BVU Alumni, led by Matt Clark
- Sypher Productions, Lincoln High School, led by Mike Valleck
- Team Extreme, South East Tech, led by Shad Quissell
- Tik Tac Productions, Lincoln High School, led by Chantel Day
- Vitiator productions, Dordt College, led by Tim Morgan