NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Sign up now for 2009 tour of the Netherlands
May 28, 2008
Dordt College is hosting a 10-day tour of the Netherlands May 11-20, 2009, in cooperation with Witte Travel and Tours. Those who register by June 1, 2008, are eligible for a drawing of a $250 travel gift certificate.
The Netherlands tour includes a visit to the 70-acre Keukenhof National Flower Exhibition; a canal cruise through the city of Amsterdam; a tour of the dikes and sluices holding back the North Sea; a visit to De Porceleyne Fles Delftware factory; tours of the Corrie ten Boom and Anne Frank homes and a Jewish Historical Museum; and a concert at Dordrecht, featuring the Dordt College Choir performing in the Netherlands on a European tour.
Hosts and guides for the spring tour of the Netherlands will be two Dordt College professors, Leendert van Beek and Hubert Krygsman.
Professor van Beek was born and raised in the Netherlands and is a native speaker of Dutch. He joined the Foreign Language Department at Dordt College in 2000, and every summer since has returned to the Netherlands for a popular three-week summer program for Dordt students, “Dutch Culture and Reformed Worldview.”
Dr. Hubert Krygsman teaches history at Dordt College, and will provide tour participants with historical insights that will enrich the experience with a broader perspective and understanding of both the Dutch and reformed heritage of the sites visited throughout the 10-day tour.
Other highlights of the tour include:
• millions of tulips, daffodils and hyacinths amid themed gardens, fountains, lakes, greenhouses, pavilions and a permanent orchid display;
• the stately 18th Century homes and Muiden Castle along the River Vecht;
• a visit to a cheese farm in the Gouda region, and landscape spotted with immense windmills;
• the Het Loo Palace, the restored summer palace of the Dutch Royal family;
• the prehistoric passage graves at the National Hunebedden Visitors Center, and the mummies in the crypt at a Friesland Dutch Reformed Church;
• worship at the English Reformed Church of Begijnhof, and a visit to the Roosevelt Academy;
• a tour of the Delta Exposition, which demonstrates how the entire system of dikes and dams works.
To request a brochure with all the details about the spring tour of the Netherlands, contact Dianne De Wit, special events coordinator at Dordt College, at 712-722-6029. Information is also posted online.