NEWS & EVENTS

Dordt College News

Dordt’s Social Work Program Earns Reaccreditation

August 9, 2007

The Bachelor of Social Work degree program (BSW) at Dordt College was recently awarded reaccreditation by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), effective through the 2013 academic year.

The stamp of approval was given following an extensive review process in which the entire program was documented, assessed, analyzed by independent reviewers, and issued a written evaluation based on strict national standards.

“The reaccreditation process is difficult and time consuming for faculty, but important for our students and the people they are being trained to serve,” said Sherri Lantinga, Dean of the Social Sciences at Dordt College. She added that the periodic review of programs helps in developing program goals and establishing the most effective educational program for future social workers.

Although colleges can offer non-accredited social work programs, graduates from colleges with nationally accredited degree programs are better equipped, have an advantage in the job market, and can often complete a master’s degree in shorter, accelerated programs.

Social workers are currently in demand in the job market, and Dordt’s placement rate is nearly 100 percent. About 75 percent of the BSW graduates at Dordt College find jobs immediately, while the other 25 percent enter graduate school. In the past ten years, nearly every student who has applied to graduate school has been accepted by at least one school, including the top schools of social work in the country, such as Columbia University, the University of Michigan and Washington University.

The Social Work faculty at Dordt College consists of Randy Baxter, Abby Jansen, and Erin Olson. Check here for more information on the BSW degree program at Dordt College.

 

Media Access: Download Word Version