Dordt College Blades Hockey vs. Iowa
February 6, 2009
(Sioux Center, Iowa) The Blades were looking for a tight game against their D2 opponent, the Iowa Hawkeyes, tonight as Dordt prepares for the NCCHA tournament and the ACHA National Tournament, and for one period that's what they had. The Blades led 3-1 after the first period before breaking the game wide open defeating the Hawkeyes 13-2.
The win improves Dordt College to 18-4-1-1 overall and keeps their record unblemished since the semester break, as the Blades have won 5 straight in 2009.
It looked like the Blades would get exactly what they wanted in the opening period as the two squads went back and forth before Dordt finally got on the board with 8:59 remaining when Kevin Prins scored his 21st goal of the year with assists from Heerema and Esselink. Todd Bakker tallied his 28th of the season on the power play at 6:58 to give the Blades a two goal cushion. The Hawkeyes cut the lead back to one when Patrick Wright beat Dordt netminder Ted Gibbons at 3:27. Nate Woudstra answered back 30 seconds later when his shot went up in the air and sailed over the Hawk's netminder Derek Lawson at 2:58.
The second period would be dominated by the Blades as they outscored the Hawkeyes 8-1 to give Dordt an 11-2 lead after 2 periods. Breukelman scored two in the period, Prins added his second of the contest while Matt Chesla, Jason Westervelt, Joel Sikkema and Jon Van Keulen added goals. Senior captain, Jared Rempel scored on the power play with a slap-shot from just inside the blue line and added a similar goal in third. Iowa's lone goal of the second came on the power play as Snetselaar netted on at the 2:57 mark.
The final period was played with a running clock and the two tallies were from Rempel and Bakker, both top quality goals as Rempel buried a slapper into the left side from the blue line and Bakker went top shelf on the left to beat the Hawkeye's netminder Erica Pennington, who replaced Lawson after he gave up his 9th goal of the night.
Kevin Prins finished the night with five points on 2 goals and 3 assists. Breukelman, Woudstra and Janz each had 4 points on the night; Breukelman on 2 goals and 2 assists, Woudstra with a goal and 3 assists and Janz with 4 assist.
Dordt netminder Ted Gibbons made 10 saves and gave up 2 goals in 40 minutes of work, while Nico Van Keulen played the final period making 5 saves with no goals against.
Derek Lawson played 34:10 in goal for the Hawkeyes giving up 9 goals while Erica Pennington play 25:50 in net giving up 4 goals.
1. 1st 8:50 DC: Prins from Heerema and Esselink
2. 1st 6:58 DC: Bakker from Prins and Woudstra (Power Play)
3. 1st 3:27 IA: Wright from McCarthy and Hermansen
4. 1st 2:58 DC: Woudstra from Bakker
5. 2nd 18:42 DC: Breukelman from Janz
6. 2nd 17:45 DC: Chesla from Breukelman and Janz
7. 2nd 15:03 DC: Westervelt, J. from VanKeulen, J. and Woudstra
8. 2nd 11:36 DC: Rempel from Esselink and Janz(Power Play)
9. 2nd 7:09 DC: Prins from Woudstra and Esselink(Power Play)
10. 2nd 5:50 DC: Breukelman from Janz and VanKeulen, J.
11. 2nd 5:33 DC: Sikkema from Heerema and Prins
12. 2nd 2:57 IA: Snetselaar from O'Toole and Ulanski(Power Play)
13. 2nd 0:55 DC: VanKeulen, J. from Breukelman
14. 3rd 7:22 DC: Rempel from Prins and Westervelt, B.
15. 3rd 6:19 DC: Bakker from Westervelt, J.
The Blades will play the Hawkeyes again tomorrow in the Vernon Arena in Sioux Center beginning at 3:30 pm.
Dordt's Current Record: 18-4-1-1 (10-0-0-0)
Opponent's Current Record: 2-21-0 (0-0-0)
|Team||Period 1||Period 2||Period 3||Final|
|Dordt Goal Leaders||Total|
|Opponent Goal Leaders||Total|
|Dordt Assist Leaders||Total|
|Opponent Assist Leaders||Total|
For more information, please contact Mike Byker, Sports Information Director, at email@example.com or (712) 722-6301.