STUDIES PROGRAM IN CONTEMPORARY EUROPE (SPICE)
Choose an individualized course program of 13 to 17 credits from the options below, allowing yourself to focus on the area that most interests you. All tracks and courses are subject to minimum enrollment criteria. You will be notified in November if a course/track you have chosen will not be offered.
Students will follow one of four tracks on SPICE: General SPICE, nursing, education, or international business:
• In the Western European Culture track, students take all SPICE Core courses, and two more elective courses.
• In the Nursing track, students take NURS 330, NURS 352, and NURS 390, in addition to two SPICE Core courses or electives.
• In the Education track, students take EDUC 239(a), EDUC 349(a), and Cross-Cultural Explorations (portfolio) combined with a one-credit independent study from the education department to fulfill the EDUC 270 requirement. Additionally, education track students take Dutch Art and Architecture, Dutch Culture and Society, and one additional SPICE elective. Students may take a Dutch language course to fulfill their foreign language requirement within the International TESL endorsement.
• In the International Business track, students take Cross-Cultural Explorations (Portfolio), Dutch Art and Architecture, Dutch Culture and Society, the International Business course, and one additional SPICE elective.
SPICE Core Courses
- SPCE 270: Cross-Cultural Explorations (3)
- SPCE 160: Dutch Art and Architecture (3)
- SPCE 271: Dutch Culture and Society (3)
- SPCE 100, 102, 201 Dutch Language (3)
- SPCE 148: History of the Low Countries (3)
- SPCE 310 Contemporary Theology (3)
- SPCE 341 Special Topics in Dutch (Lit. & Comp.) (3)
Business, Education, and Nursing Track Courses
- SPCE 371 International Business Practicum (3)
- EDUC 239(a) Service Learning Field Experience (2)
- EDUC 349 (a) Supervised Practicum in TESL
- IND 391-1 Comparative Education (1)
- NURS 352 Family, Communication, and Public Health II (4)
- NURS 330 Research and Scientific Inquiry (3)
- NURS 390 Professional Practice Development in Society (3)